H. J. Rose - A HANDBOOK OF GREEK MYTHOLOGY
In this new and substantially revised edition of H. J. Rose's classic survey and analysis of the evolution and tradition of Greek myth, Robin Hard adds various features which bring the work up-to-date with contemporary scholarship and address the needs of students.
- A new preface analysing and contextualising H. J. Rose's attitude to myth.
- A new chapter devoted to the epic and other poetic sources of the myths, narrative prose mythography and the various forms of rationalisation.
- A new chapter examining the relationship between the different myths of Gods and heroes, with genealogical tables. Robin Hard shows how the myths of individual families and distinct locations hold together to form a coherent pseudo-historical pattern
- extensively revises and simplifies notes
- A new annotated bibliography.
- A Handbook of Greek Mythology presents a invaluable and user-friendly guide to the myths and legends of ancient Greece - their genesis, sources, development and significance.