Dr. Leo L. Martello - The Prophecy Of Genghis Khan's Bones
In the China yearbook of 1947 appeared this matter-of-fact statement: "The remains of Genghis Khan, guarded by the Ikhchao League, were removed to Kansu Province on June 1939." For seven centuries the grave of the Khan was a carefully guarded secret located somewhere near where his death took place in 1227 at Liu Pan Shan, on the Suiyuan-Shensi border. A Mongol band, the Alashan, were the "keepers of the trust" later becoming part of the Ikhchao League. They were assigned this honor when the great Khan of Khans died in his yurt at sixty-five. When the Japanese were occupying large portions of China in 1939 the Ikhchao League asked permission of the Nationist Government to remove the remains to a safer place. Granted permission the casket was brought to central Kansu, the capital of which is Lanchow, near the border of Khan's native Gobi Desert.